McDuffie County was created by Act of Oct. 18, 1870 from Columbia and Warren Counties. It was named for George McDuffie (1788-1851). Born in Columbia (now Warren County, Ga.), he became a political leader in S.C. He was a Maj. Gen. of Militia, Congressman, Governor and Senator. A political sponsor of Calhoun, he was a notable orator. First Officers of McDuffie County, commissioned Feb. 11, 1871, were: A.B. Thrasher, Ord.; J.T. Stovall, Sheriff; R.H. Pearce, Clk. Sup. Ct.; J.D. Montgomery, Tax Rec.; H.W. Young, Tax Col.; John R. Wilson, Sur.; B.E. Pearce, Treas.; R.T. Blanchard, Coroner.
GHM 094-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956
Marker Name:McDuffie County
Marker Location:McDuffie County Courthouse, 337 Main St., Thomson, GA 30824
Marker Number: GHM 094-02
Public or Private: Public